Saturday, August 30, 2008

Additional tasting on August 29, 2008


A seventh bottle was opened for tasting. This was a late arrival, a generous contribution of Uncle P. Unfortunately, Uncle N was gone by the time we opened this bottle.
It was Hourglass Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, 2005. Our rating: 4+
While all previous wines tasted tonight were very good, this bottle was by far the best. R.P. gave it 93 points.
Great California Cab nose (even Uncle E was impressed-our great French wine afficionado), velvety, dark, yet not too forward. In my opinion, this is an elegant wine and as soon as the price will drop logaritmically (this will not happen), I will buy three cases. Fruits galore, but subdued, for a Napa high-end cab. Grilled blackberry, Jamaican smoked-chicken jerky, ginger-rhubarb jam and wild pistachio comes to the foggy mind. A long lasting finish, reminded us of the excitment felt during the first high school dance.

4 comments:

Uncle N said...

How late did you guys stay? Restrain and discretion are two words I offer.

Piroca said...

I don't think I would rate this wine 4+. In my opinion the Hourglass is comparable, as far as rating goes, to the Catena Zapata, Adrianna Vin. Malbec (3+ to 4).

winepath said...

I think that to settle the dispute on ratings, I will need to taste 2 additional bottles of each, in the near future. Only then will I be able to be objective.

Piroca said...

Uncle Winepath, I finished the Hourglass bottle I brought home Friday night and opened another bottle of the Catena Zapata Malbec yesterday, and am finishing it up right now. I love this pearl from Argentina. Have you heard about the nickname of your VP candidate. Barracuda Sarah. I think it's funny.